We really love this sumptuous dish of baked mediterranean vegetables – they are so easy to prepare, look and taste great and are extremely versatile. Delicious with grilled fish or chicken, eaten on their own hot with pitta bread or next day cold with salad. The wonderful selection we have used are all from Reg the Veg, Bristol.
- 2 red peppers
- 2 aubergines
- 3 courgettes
- 500g fresh tomatoes (cherry, large round or plum)
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic – chopped
- bunch of thyme
- black pepper to taste,
- olive oil
- Wash all the vegetable under fresh water. Preheat the oven to 180 C/ mark 4 gas/ 350 F.
- Cut open the red peppers and remove the seeds. Slice the red flesh into 1/2 cm strips.
- Peel and slice the onion
- Slice the aubergines about 1/2 cm thick. Lay out on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt. Leave to stand for 30 minutes for the salt to draw out the juices. Wash and pat dry.
- Slice the courgettes 1/2 – 1 cm thick.
- At nearHome, we like to keep our cherry tomatoes whole for this dish, but if using large round or plumb tomatoes, quarter them up and remove the seeds.
- Take a large flat oven proof dish and sprinkle with good olive oil. Arrange the vegetables in the dish, distributing them evenly. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle withe chopped garlic, plentyof ground black pepper and tuck in the sprigs of thyme.
- Cover with foil and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until soft. Cooking time will vary according to your taste. Serve straight from the oven.
Tip: for an autumn/winter alternative try the same method but using root vegetables – carrots, parsnips, orange beetroot and onions.
KNOW YOUR FOOD:
This dish is full of Vitamin C, lycopene and antioxidants which are enemies of cancer-friendly free radicals; and Potassium which is important to keep muscles working properly.
As always please let me know if you try this (tag us in photos @shopnearhome on instagram – i’d love to see them!)